RINDGE DAM 8 29 11

Nutso day trip at the Rindge Dam in Malibu California. We had the 12 Feet Under Crew, The Baldwin Park Crew, LA Swim Swim and a swarm of random nad-slappers on this trip. We drove down and dropped off most of the people on the side of the road before we descend the cliff edge to the dam.

The hike down is serious business. You need to scramble down about 500 feet from the road edge to the creek bed. Then you need to ascend/descend some janky old rusty ladders before walking along the lip of the dam and scramble down yet another hill to get below the dam. Once at the bottom you will have many choices of where you want to jump. 15 footers all the way up to 90 feet if you’re feeling ballsy. Always check depth first. This place can get pretty shallow certain years so contact us if you want to know if it’s deep enough to jump. Keep it real and stay safe.

Directions: DO NOT GO HERE UNLESS YOU ARE IN GREAT PHYSICAL CONDITION! People die here all the time and you will too if you don’t watch what you’re doing. 101N exit Las Virgenes/Lost Hills and head left toward the beach. After 4.5 miles turn right into a parking lot for Backbone trail, laugh at the parking fees (or pay them). Then walk down Malibu Canyon Road until you get to mile marker 1.86 on the left side of the road, from here you will see a very faint use trail that descends the side of the cliff. Get to the creek bed and find your way along the left side of the dam to the bottom. It’s kind of a free-for-all once you get to the creek so look for signs of a trail and just follow it. Use your best judgment, if you have no route finding skills just go up the road to the rock pools instead. Los Angeles Swimmin is not responsible for any injuries sustained while at the dam.

Picture 19

311782_263224700364146_100000298539035_1018748_1636552_n

54 replies
Newer Comments »
  1. Greg
    Greg says:

Hey guys,

Awesome pictures and video it looks like a lot of fun. I’m really trying to make a trip out there but I am looking for the best way to get down there. I see that there is a way from the north or a way from the south. How long did it take you guys to get down there?

Maybe if it was possible you could do a google/maps with the coordinates about where you left the road and took the trail down and I can worry about where to park the car. Thank guys!

Greg

2. simon
    simon says:

Sik place guys i was there earlier today. Damm it was cold but the water level was preaty high. thanks for the location …. had a blast

3. losangelesswimmin
    losangelesswimmin says:

Yes, but be careful. Someone died last weekend there jumping the 70 footer. He didnt hit the bottom but he hit the water sideways. Always check for rocks and other submerged crap.

4. Charles
    Charles says:

So if i were to go there this weekend, June 2nd-June 4th, there should be enough water to jump in? and also is the water pretty cold and how long is the hike there?

5. losangelesswimmin
    losangelesswimmin says:

Water level will be deep enough, just make sure you check before you jump. A buddy died there 2 weeks ago so please be careful. Hike is only 20 min from the top.

6. dubs
    dubs says:

please remove those maps showing the beginning of the trail. if people can’t find it or be shown how to get there properly, by someone experienced, they have no business at that dam.

7. STEVEN37
    STEVEN37 says:

IS IT DEEP ENOUGH RIGHT NOW?????????…..AND ARE THERE ANY OTHER MAPS THAT SHOW YOU HOW TO GET THERE?

8. ADVANCECLIMBERSONLY
    ADVANCECLIMBERSONLY says:

WE WENT WITH A GROUP OF 5 PEOPLE JULY 19/2012

WE GOT STUCK AT NIGHT WITH NO WAY OUT, AND WERE RESCUED BY THE COUNTY SHERIFFS AND A HUGE GROUP OF POLICE CARS FIREMEN AND AMBULANCE.

THEY TOLD US THEY HAVE NEVER RESCUED LIVE BODIES BEFORE IN 22 YEARS…. USUALLY THEY PULL UP DEAD BODIES…

WE WERE THE SECOND GROUP OF PEOPLE THEY HAD TO RESCUE THAT NIGHT…

(BEST TIME I’VE EVER HAD IN A LONG TIME)

BUT THIS IS JUST A WARNING TO ANYONE THINKG OF GOING GO PREPARED!

9. S-to the-E
    S-to the-E says:

Just went there yesterday!!! I’ve been hiking on both sides of the dam for years now, only making it to the dam once, comin up from nearly the beach and getting there at night— Sketchy. Anyways, had a blast down there yesterday!!! I suggest rafts or inflatables to help conserve energy because it does take a bit of strength/endurance to get out, but not too bad. It was kind of a bummer to see all the trash (beer cans and bottles) just sitting around, and the graffiti on the rocks. I drink and paint myself, (often simultaneously) but I pick up my trash, and keep the painting to the city. No need to fuck up something for the rest of us, and end up having that place regulated or some shit. As far as trash goes, all it takes is bringin down a empty trash bag, fill it with your trash, knot up the bag and leave it somewhere safe and out of the way. Looks a lot better than trash all over the place and I’ll even haul it out when i go back. Other than that, have a blast down there. It truly is like a small paradise! BTW.. don’t tell too many people. Lets keep this place alive and unregulated for as long as possible.

10. trailmix
    trailmix says:

Hi! I’m planning to do this sometime this month, probably next week. Would you know how the water would be right now? Are there a lot of rocks and shallow areas?

11. Luke Yeager
    Luke Yeager says:

How bout the water depth right now in early April??

And how sketch is the hike from the top of the dam?

12. Gustavo Fuentes
    Gustavo Fuentes says:

Hey I wanted to know how the water depth is right now in early may? I really want to go check this out tomorrow!

13. artur
    artur says:

Just found out about this spot this year. Been thinking about making the hike down to the dam. The way down looks pretty straight forward but, it seems most people get lost/stuck on the way up. I would really love to go here at least once in my life. Should I be worried?

14. Garrett B.
    Garrett B. says:

How sketchy is it to get back up that giant hill? I’m in decent shape and I just don’t wanna get stuck down there haha. And how is the water depth at this time of year as well?

15. Nick T
    Nick T says:

I’m looking to go there this weekend with some friends. All of us are in good physical shape so I’m not worried about the hike down or back up, but do you know if the water level is deep enough?

Trackbacks & Pingbacks

Newer Comments »

Want to join the discussion?
Feel free to contribute!